What this blog is and how to use it

This blog contains poems that have caught my attention over the years. Many of the poems I've discussed and explored with 16 -19 year old students in my capacity as lecturer in English.

Browse the list of poems by scrolling down the page or read the titles of poems or names of poets in the sidebar 'Poem Titles and Poets'. Then click on the title or poet.

Thursday 10 June 2010

'First they came for the Jews' attributed to Martin Niemoller

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out -
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out -
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists.
and I did not speak out -
because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics.
and I did not speak out –
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me –
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Attributed to Martin Niemoller
Translated from the German

No comments:

Post a Comment